Turning Away

The time had come for our number one son
For a milestone of many: Kindy, Day One.

As we walked through the gate he was holding my hand
With his new lunch box in his little kindy bag

Different kids, different teachers, all fresh and new
There was a cool new playground with so much to do

As we went through his routine, he seemed happy and bright
But when I began my departure he just hugged me real tight

As he gripped me he cried and begged me to stay
He didn’t want to be there alone for the day

I tried to explain that he’d be perfectly okay
And I’d be back to get him later that day

With some help I managed to make a retreat
But he was still upset; tears fell on his feet

As I cheerily waved and began turning away
In my mind all I could see was his face at the gate

I fought the urge to go back and to take him back home
To save him the trauma of leaving him alone

With a tear in my eye and a stab in the heart
I didn’t look back and walked on to the car

He was fine, of course, once I’d left him there
With so many distractions he was playing without care.

But after days and then weeks he’d still grab onto my sleeve
Always distraught and distressed as I began to leave

It was the hardest part of all, leaving my lad
But helping him grow was the job of a dad

“You’re a big boy, you’ll have fun” I’d repeatedly say
Before I gave him a hug and began turning away.

And then suddenly one day, twenty weeks on
As I began my departure he turned and was gone

Without warning he was fine with me going away
And I smiled and watched him run off and play

No more clinging or clutching, no more tears at the gate
I could walk away and leave him in a peaceful state

But turning away, as ever, I still felt forlorn:
That morning my boy didn’t need me anymore.

Copyright © Richard Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment