Four Favourites

Of my four favourite words, the last is “perambulate”,
Its meaning: “to walk or stroll” is something to which I relate;
It is rhythmic and fluid, it literally ambles from your lips
And prompts you to go a-sauntering, and loosen up your hips.

“Lebensmittelgeshäft” is German, it comes in at third,
It has so many varied sounds stuffed into one word!
Alas, it designates something I have no time for:
For it translates into “supermarket”, or “grocery store”.

At second is a melon: the word is “cantaloupe”,
I’m a bit biased here as it’s one of my favourite fruit,
The word rolls sweetly about your tongue, like it’s juicy flesh
It’s soft and musical and leaves your mouth feeling fresh.

My favourite term is short, and it defines a sound,
And the word itself is the funniest one around,
It could find itself in comedy, when something’s about to drop,
You can’t say it without smiling; try it, it’s “plop”!


Copyright © Richard Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment